Wednesday, December 5, 2018

4 Square at the MTC


Another week in the MTC!
The MTC slowly but surely keeps getting better and better. It's still a grind with the language and things, but it's getting more and more fun and bearable.
Me and my coolest 4th cousin, Elder Rosenkrantz.


One of the most fun things about the MTC is the exercise time. We like to go to the big gym that has a track upstairs. Our district goes on splits based on who wants to go where. I usually head upstairs with a few other members of our district to do some lifting for the first half, then we head downstairs to play some 4 square. I would play volleyball because it's super fun, but most of the people who play played in high school so they're really stinking good. 4 square is more fun that way because when I mess up, I'm the only one who suffers, but in volleyball, it's the entire team that now suffers, and the less suffering the better, right? So I willingly make that sacrifice for others and play 4 square 😊

4 square in the MTC is really funny though. It's a very strange crowd that lines up in the 4 square line. The strangest of the bunch by far though are the affectionately named "4 Square Gestapo."
They treat the game like it's the most serious thing that they have ever done and that they ever will do. It's almost like their salvation rides upon whether or not they can reach the king square. They're kind of annoying and shy away from honestly calling when the ball is in or out, but besides that, it's just a really fun time. A good way to relieve stress and a nice break from focusing on Russian.


Us studying. Elder Marlow on the left, Elder McQuivey on the right.

Us studying more!


We had our first TRC this week, which is where we teach a member of the church a lesson in only Russian. They're usually returned missionaries going to BYU, but sometimes it's legit Russians who immigrated. We were pretty stressed out about it and planned this big lesson. During TRCs, you teach the same lesson to two different people. The first lesson we did went horribly. It was so so bad. It ended pretty early and it just did not go well whatsoever. Afterward, my comp and I were both pretty majorly in the dumps, but I brushed it off pretty quick. We got some tips from our teacher, Brother Henderson, and went into the next lesson. The next lesson was the best one we've given so far in the MTC. We taught this returned missionary named Gary. He was so cool and super funny and we just had an amazing time. Our Russian was really bad, but he helped us along the way. The lesson wasn't incredible, but the fun we had and the joy that was there was really just an amazing experience. Spreading joy is a huge part of missionary work, so it was very nice to see that if we just try our best and make the most out of everything and have fun with it, we can spread the joy that we have of the gospel even if we can barely say anything.


L-R: Elder Hansen, Elder Gale, Elder Day, Elder Becktal

Elder Ashton and Elder Gale.
First snowfall at the MTC.


The weeks keep going by faster, thank goodness, but it will be sad to leave the MTC. My district and another district that entered the MTC the same week as us, are about to become the oldest elders in the zone. Everyone (except for one elder and one sister) in our zone that came here before me is leaving on Monday or Tuesday. It will be really sad to see them all go. They've been so fun to be with throughout this experience and they've helped me a lot, particularly my MTC "Dads" Elders Hansen and Becktal. They've taught me so much and have helped me through so many things during my time here at the MTC. Sadly, they're going to the other mission in Ukraine so I won't be seeing them for a long long time, but I'm sure we'll meet again when we all go to BYU.

Love y'all so very much.
My mission badge in Russian. I just now realized that I have never sent a picture of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. As long as you are a friend of Ashton, your comment will be accepted for him to see later. Thanks for reading and supporting Elder Day.