Thursday, November 29, 2018

Email #2

Things get worse before they get better!
That's what I've been telling myself as I've tried my best to persevere through this 'language' that is Russian. I am not yet entirely convinced that it's not 100% just made up on the spot by our teachers, but at least the grammar rules kind of make more sense than English. It's unquestionably been the hardest thing I've done in my life so far. Every single spare minute of the day is dedicated to working on my Russian. My district likes to joke around that our Russian is so bad that they're going to have to transfer us all to a mission in the Florida Keys. It's actually an effective coping method. I'll continue to press forward though. Other people have done it before without the Lord's help, if I have him at my back, "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" - Kevin Garnett

This random picture of Moses leading the people of Israel through the Red Sea. Nothing to do with the email. I just really like it.


Thanksgiving was actually really awesome. It was the holiday that I was the saddest about missing, but this Thanksgiving from the MTC was an amazing experience. We got a talk from Elder Uchtdorf and it was incredible.

One thing I have definitely learned so far from the MTC is that hymns make me so weak. I swear half the time I cannot make it through a hymn without almost crying. Some are better than others, but I have never felt the spirit more than by singing hymns here at the MTC. When Elder Uchtdorf was here we sang "I Know My Redeemer Lives" and I think I got out about 5 words before I started choking up hahaha.

Elder Perry from my district and a quote that goes along with the Moses picture. This quote has been something I've been really thinking about as I've struggled with Russian.


I am so very thankful for my district. They're the most fun group of guys in the entire world and I'm so lucky to be in here with them. We did the "search for nearby relatives" thing on the Family Search app and most of us are around 10th cousins or so, but me and Elder Rosenkrantz are actually 4th cousins! Not really that cool, but we like to think it's pretty funny. Since we're all really distantly related, there's this one line of royalty that we can all trace back through Charlemagne, so we've taken to calling ourselves the "Charlemagne Gang". Again, it's all pretty stupid, but once you hit the MTC the smallest things can be the funniest jokes in the world. I cannot emphasize how greatly they've helped me through this experience. It's made the MTC fun throughout all the stress. I promise I'll get a picture of all of us soon.

Elder Gale, my companion, got sent donuts and shared with our district and zone. The Branch president was just outside the room so we ate really quick hahaha.


Love y'all

--
 - Elder Ashton Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. As long as you are a friend of Ashton, your comment will be accepted for him to see later. Thanks for reading and supporting Elder Day.