Monday, September 2, 2019

Salo: The most amazing raw bacon you've ever tasted

This has truly been a week of miracles. Some of the coolest things that have happened on my mission this week happened.
Igor on the left and Vlad on the right.

We met these awesome guys, Igor and Vadim. They work with this organization here in Chernigov and in other cities in Ukraine where they teach kids the dangers of drugs and alcohol and the importance of family. They doing some really amazing work and are really impressed with our message too, considering they have similar themes. They've talked to some missionaries in the past and aren't really interested in changing what they're doing, but it was really nice to see that there are other people out there spreading wonderful messages. Really brightened my day.

We met some amazing new people to teach this week. One is this teenager who goes by Viktor because no one here can pronounce his actual name. He speaks Korean, Russian, Ukrainian, and English, so clearly there's something or two that I can learn from this guy. He is an absolute miracle and proof that the Lord is doing his work in gathering Israel. He got into contact with a different missionary, who got him in contact with us. He said that he's already read the whole Book of Mormon, knows it is true, and is really desirous to meet with us. We've had a lesson over Skype (because he's currently travelling) and it went really well. We're so excited to keep working with him.
Some amazing borscht and salo at my favorite restaurant here in Chernigov. Salo is this really strange thing - it's basically salted raw bacon. It's incredibly tasty and is one of my favorite things. I know it may sound gross, but take my word for it, it's incredible. 

Two people came to church this last week who we're teaching - first time this transfer. I think it might have surprised some of the branch members that we actually are working super hard up here. One used to go to church when he was super young with his grandfather in a different country and was really surprised to see that the church is here too! I wasn't shy to mention that maybe it's a sign that he finds the church everywhere he goes... He came to church and we're going to be meeting later this week.

The other man that came is really interesting. The first time he came to church we actually thought he was a member! We found out when he came to our English Practice that he's actually not baptized, just very interested in the church. He went to the Kyiv open house a long time ago and has been interested in the church on and off since then. We had a lesson with him where he mentioned that he really needs to pray and find out if the Book of Mormon is true. We testified to him super strongly that he will get his answer and reaffirmed this knowledge. He said he will read and pray and then we will discuss baptism soon! We're happy to be a part of finding his path through life.
Me in front of our building. It's a pretty cool one. Cute color. I'm a fan. 

A mission is HARD. It is unquestionably the hardest thing that I have done in my life, but it is the most wonderful thing that I have been a part of. I'm so glad to be a part of this work. When it's hard, I'm often reminded of Matthew 11:

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Whenever I'm having a hard time, I just pray and ask my Heavenly Father to give me strength through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that Jesus lives, I know that he is our Savior, and I know that this is his work.

I love you all, I hope you have a great week!


Me and my companion tried this different Ukrainian restaurant today (I just love eating at Ukrainian places.) and they gave me this soup. I don't remember what it was called, but it's got potatoes, carrots, and meat. They warned me, saying that this one is super spicy. Nothing. Ukrainians are super sensitive to spicy foods because they just don't really have that kind of thing in their diet, so things that are just normal to us can be incredibly spicy to them. Still tasted really great though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. As long as you are a friend of Ashton, your comment will be accepted for him to see later. Thanks for reading and supporting Elder Day.