Monday, September 23, 2019

It's been a crazy week! We ended up in Kyiv for more than half of the week due to a big zone activity last Monday, zone conference, interviews, and then a bomb scare on the Kyiv metro that prevented us from going home... needless to say, pretty eventful.

The zone activity was really fun. All the missionaries from the Kyiv East zone came in to play some games together, learn some cool things, and have the opportunity to contact a little bit with a new companion! It was very fun. I got to go out contacting with one of my good missionary friends Elder Maximo from Brazil. It's great to contact with new Elders because you learn new ways of contacting and always is a learning/teaching experience. We also played some volleyball in which I only ripped a single pair of pants... my favorite pair too. It was OK though because it wasn't bad enough that anyone would notice. Still pretty sad moment for me and my pants, but that's OK, I've bought new pants and I have moved on now and he's in a better place.

Me and Elder Huntsman on an exchange in the big square in center Chernigov

Zone conference was so amazing. President Kumferman gave this incredible presentation about the atonement. Every time I learn more about the atonement I also learn how much I don't know about it. It is truly the most amazing and most important event to have ever occurred. I am so glad that Jesus Christ was willing to, strong enough, and worthy enough to complete the atonement for us. He came to this Earth and did everything that the Father asked of him. Truly the greatest example that we could ever have.
Interviews were wonderful as always! I love going to the Kumferman's house. I get to play Ticket to Ride and eat amazing food! I love the Kumferman's so much.

Us on our ride back to Chernigov. Needless to say, we were all a little tired. 

When we got back to Chernigov things were going CRAZY. Saturday was Chernigov Day and they were setting up so much stuff in preparation. Once Saturday finally came Chernigov was probably the most exciting place to be in in the whole world. There was a huge stage set up, multiple outside bazaars fulls of cool little goodies, and tons of food and people. Also there were these really cool marching bands from different cities in Ukraine, so we watched some of that for a minute after we gave up on contacting (just because it was so busy and hectic and no one was interested in talking during all the commotion). Overall it was super cool and really fun to see the whole cultural event happening!

One of the marching bands getting ready to head out. The marching bands all just played a ton of Bon Jovi and some Michael Jackson and Greenday. Basically just a ton of American music. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised. Pleasantly surprised though. 

Me and Elder Goethals standing near where they had a huge performance with the marching bands with hundreds of spectators.
Sunday there was this huge marathon event that lots of people participated in which unfortunately led to the closer of lots of roads, meaning that the buses weren't running the normal routes which resulted in lots of people not being able to make it to church :( still was a great Sunday though!

All of the preparations for the marathon, starting in the center square of Chernigov.
One thing that was also really amazing - the new Book of Mormon video! It was so good. If you haven't watched it you have to go and check it out. I just want to say that I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that there is so much to gain from reading from it. Every day when I start my personal study, the first thing I do is open up my study journal and make a place to write the personal inspiration I want to receive from my reading that day.  I have found that once I have set up that expectation the Lord just pours out amazing inspiration. When we open the scriptures hoping to receive something the Lord always delivers. I love personal study and I am so grateful for the chance I have to share the Book of Mormon with people.
Bogdan, this cool kid who we contacted. I was talking to someone else and he just walked up to me and waited. After I talked to that lady I turned to him and he thought we were cool so he wanted to walk around with us. After talking and walking to him for a while he wanted a selfie before we went. Cool kid.

Love you all so much, have a great week.

This huge pizza we all ate together. Says it's for '8' people. We proved that wrong pretty easily.

Старейшина Дэй

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. As long as you are a friend of Ashton, your comment will be accepted for him to see later. Thanks for reading and supporting Elder Day.