Monday, August 12, 2019

Did you know shaking hands can be dangerous? At least in Ukraine

Me next to one of the coolest members in our branch, Yuri, who gave me this sweet haircut. 

This week has been an awesome week! We found a lot of work to do and have just filled up our time and because of that I am exhausted to say the least. There's not a lot of specific details to mention, so I'll just bring up some funny things about being a missionary in Ukraine:

- There is a random bottle of cognac in our apartment. Just a legitimate straight bottle of alcohol. The problem is, we can't get rid of it or else our landlord will make us pay for a new one. One thing about landlords in Ukraine, they understand that they're housing Americans and then search for every opportunity to exploit that. Anything that is thrown away and could have possibly belong to the landlord, and if they notice that it's missing, they will probably make you buy a new one. We just try to stay away from throwing away anything that looks like it might not be ours and just play it safe.

-  When it rains in Ukraine, your plans for the day are DESTROYED. I don't know what it is about Ukrainians and rain, but it means that they will cancel everything. So many times on my mission it's rained earlier in the day, we'll call somebody to make sure that they're still good for our lesson, and they'll say "I'm sorry, I just can't anymore. It rained earlier today." I guess it's a valid excuse here hahaha. I've also been on lessons with people we're teaching who say "I'm sorry, I just cannot pray today. The weather was just too bad." I love Ukrainians so much. They're people with personality and I love it.

Me and Elder Goethals (from Belgium) while we were on an exchange, standing next to an awesome WW2 memorial statue. 

- One of the weird things that people here will NEVER do is shake your hand through a doorway. Ukrainians believe that it means that later in life you will become enemies. Just one of the strange, Ukrainian superstitions. There are random other ones that only the grandmothers believe, but the handshake one everyone lives by because: "Better to be safe than sorry." This means, that if you stick your hand out to shake theirs through a doorway, they will first make an awkward step through the doorway, shake your hand, and then retreat back in. I'm supposed to remember to not offer a handshake through a doorway so as to not make them do this, but sometimes it's hard to remember.

- Teaching English here is really, really fun. There are some people with insanely good English. Some of the weird quirks is that they say some things that nobody really actually says in English. One of these things, for example, is if you ask someone how they're doing they'll say "Hmm, 50/50." or "So so." I guess that's just their way of saying "OK" or "Alright". I told my English class that nobody really says those responses in America and their minds were a little bit blown. I have a lot of fun playing English as a Second Language games with them. One of my favorites so far was writing a bunch of nouns on cards, having participants hold the card to their forehead without looking at what was on it, and then having to ask others questions in order to figure out what their noun is. It was really fun to play and watch. The most challenging one was the noun "Bull" and "Policeman". Luckily they figured it out, with a little bit of help.
Me next to a really old cannon overlooking Chernigov.

I just want to say that I'm so glad for my wonderful opportunity that I have to serve the Lord. I'm so grateful for my savior, Jesus Christ, and for everything that he has done for me. As I was reading my scriptures yesterday, I came across these wonderful verses in 2nd Nephi that reminded me yet again of the importance of Christ in our lives (2nd Nephi 31:20-21)

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a clove of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

I know that it is only through Jesus Christ that we can return to our Father in Heaven, and receive eternal life. As we try to meet with people and help them find the truth, sometimes I need to remind myself that I'm not trying to convince them that the Book of Mormon was true, or that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, but rather that Jesus Christ is our brother, our Savior, and Redeemer of the world. As we read in 2nd Nephi 33:10, it says:

10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.

When we believe in Christ, then we can believe that these are his words, and that this is the fullness of his gospel once again restored onto the Earth. I am so thankful for Jesus Christ, for his sacrifice for me, for my ability to spread his message of peace and happiness here in Ukraine. I love this wonderful gospel.

Love y'all

P.S. Me and Elder Pincock went to a Ukrainian restaurant, where they gave us free, complimentary shots with some bread. Needless to say, we enjoyed the tasty little bread. Nothing more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. As long as you are a friend of Ashton, your comment will be accepted for him to see later. Thanks for reading and supporting Elder Day.